The objective of this course is developing and improving the students’ accuracy in using English in an academic context. This course concentrates on writing in an academic context, expanding speaking and writing fluency as well as building vocabulary.
• Writing an essay assignment counting 1000-1200 words
• Analyzing, extending and refreshing aspects of grammar and vocabulary associated mainly with academic writing
• Learning strategies and techniques necessary in producing cohesive and coherent academic texts
• Raising awareness of register in language, i.e. non-academic versus academic, formal versus informal
• Giving and receiving peer and teacher feedback on the writing assignment
• Doing exercises that aim to stimulate analytical thinking
Speaking and fluency
• Expanding academic vocabulary
• Using correct grammatical structures
• Addressing pronunciation difficulties
• Working on presentation skills
• Increasing confidence in oral communication through discussions and presentations
• Using software such as PowerPoint to support presentations
• Keeping a vocabulary portfolio
• Analyzing word families
• Doing exercises that stimulate vocabulary acquisition
The language level of this course is comparable to the level of English Advanced 1 (B2.2/C1.1).
If you are interested in taking an IELTS test, we recommend you sign up for our course IELTS Exam Preparation after Academic English.
AssessmentThe intake procedure for this course comprises: intake interview, online test, written assignment
Schedule and registration
This course can also be taken as an intensive summer course.