German level 5
Upon completing the German level 5 course, you will have a thorough and complete knowledge of basic German. After this course you will, among other things, be able to:
- broadly understand the news and documentaries
- comprehend business emails well
- describe changes and talk about the past and the future
Who is it for?
This intermediate course is intended for students who have a reasonable knowledge of the German language. During this course, you will further expand your active language skills.
What will you learn?
The overall aim of the course is to improve your proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing in German.
By the end of this course, you will be able to comprehend important information when it is clearly spoken and concerns familiar topics. You will be able to comprehend the general content of the news and documentaries on current affairs or on topics of personal or work-related interest, provided the speaker talks fairly slowly and clearly.
You will be able to comprehend texts which are comprised mainly of everyday or work-related language, such as an internet forum, advertisements or a work-related email. You will be able to talk about something that has happened in the past, such as what you did last weekend. You will be able to book a trip and write a comment in response to a newspaper article. You will be able to indicate what you like and don't like, give your opinion and substantiate it.
The grammar you learn during this course includes:
- past tense of weak and strong verbs and modal auxiliary verbs
- future tense (with infinitive)
- second case (genitive), also with prepositions
- conjunctions: da, weil, obwohl, darum, deshalb, so dass, damit, etc.
- relative clauses
- prepositions in adverbs of time: ab, nach, vor, innerhalb, während
- degrees of comparison (with the correct suffix)
AssessmentThe intake procedure for this course comprises: intake interview
After you have registered for this course, we will invite you for an assessment to determine your level. We recommend that you enrol at least two weeks before the start of the course. If you enrol later than this, we cannot guarantee there will be time for the intake procedure. If you have completed the German level 4 course at UvA Talen, an assessment will not be necessary.