If you don’t speak any Swedish at all, or you haven’t progressed beyond hej då and tack, then Swedish Beginners is the right course for you. After this course you will, among other things, be able to:
- tell something about yourself, your work, family and hobbies
- read a simple recipe, for example for köttbullar
- write a simple text about your daily life
Who is it for?
The Swedish Beginners course is perfect for you if you want to start learning Swedish from scratch, for example for a holiday, work experience or to study in Sweden.
What will you learn?
During Swedish Beginners, you will learn how to read and write in Swedish, to speak and to understand spoken Swedish. Grammar and vocabulary are an important part of the course. You will learn things like the names of colours, times, and how to count in Swedish.
Once you have completed the course, you will be able to introduce yourself and tell something about your work, your family and hobbies. You will be able to understand another person talking about these topics if they speak slowly and clearly.
Much of what you learn will be perfect for use during a holiday in Sweden. You will be able to:
- read a simple menu and place your order
- in a supermarket, ask where a product is and understand the checkout operator telling you the amount and asking how you want to pay
- write a postcard in Swedish about your holiday
As it is important that you learn the correct pronunciation from the start, a good deal of attention will be paid to this. You will learn the proper pronunciation of long vowels and consonants, and where the stress lies in words and sentences.
The grammar you learn during this course includes:
- the word order in simple main clauses, for example in a question: har du lust att gå på bio? (would you like to go to the cinema?)
- the difference between the articles en and ett
- conjugate verbs in the past tense and the future tense: jag cyklar (I cycle), jag cyklade (I cycled), jag ska cykla (I will cycle)
Schedule and registration
This course can also be taken as an intensive summer course.