Swedish level 3
Upon completing the Swedish level 3 course, you will have a thorough and complete knowledge of basic Swedish. After this course you will, among other things, be able to:
- read a simple interview on a Swedish news website
- write a note, for example to tell a colleague something
- express your opinion in a simple conversation or discussion
Who is it for?
Swedish level 3 is intended for students with a basic knowledge of the Swedish language. For example, you are already able to conduct short conversations in which you give a compliment, offer an apology or thank someone. You can understand information in short texts, diagrams and tables and you are already able to read and answer short messages and emails.
What will you learn?
During this course, you will improve your Swedish reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Grammar and vocabulary are an important part of the course, and a lot of attention is paid to pronunciation.
Once you have completed the Swedish level 3 course, you will find it increasingly easy to converse about everyday topics. You will be able to respond more quickly and spontaneously, for example in a conversation about the weather, your work or study, and your plans for the future.
You will have no difficulty in reading a short interview or an advertisement in Swedish, for example an advertisement for a house. You might not be able to understand everything in a news article, but you will understand the main message.
You will now be able to write short descriptive texts, for example about your schooldays or your plans for the future. You will be able to join sentences together using conjunctions (such as för att, trots att and genom att), possessive pronouns and relative pronouns (som and där).
The grammar you learn more about during this course includes:
- possessive pronouns, such as sin (his), sitt (hers) and sina (theirs)
- adverbs that describe time (först (first), sedan (afterwards) and då (then)) and adverbs that modify verbs: jag sover djupt (I sleep deeply)
- all you need to know about verbs: separable verbs (kommer in), auxiliary verbs är (to be) and ser...ut (to look like) and verbs of movement and position står (to stand), ligger (to lie) and går (to walk)
AssessmentThe intake procedure for this course comprises: intake interview
After you have registered for this course, we will invite you for an assessment to determine your level. We recommend that you enrol at least two weeks before the start of the course. If you enrol later than this, we cannot guarantee there will be time for the intake procedure. If you have completed the Swedish level 2 course at UvA Talen, an assessment will not be necessary.
Schedule and registration
This course can also be taken as an intensive summer course.